The Old Schoolhouse Magazine, LLC, started out as an eBay business and is now a global homeschooling company offering homeschoolers a variety of resources and encouragement, as well as ways to learn about the latest and greatest educational resources out there. It is our desire that TOS will be a blessing to you as we seek to serve our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Come check out all that TOS wants to share with you, and meet some of our caring and hardworking staff members.The Old Schoolhouse is a glossy, full-color magazine packed with information and articles that homeschoolers enjoy reading. Deborah Wuehler is the Senior Editor, and TOS is blessed to have her! We are privileged to feature noted authors both in the magazine and on the website. Check out our How to Homeschool page for a wonderful library of homeschooling articles. TOS has played host to dozens of wonderful guests, either through interviews or as contributing writers.
Our Schoolhouse Store where shipping is always free.
Join us on Facebook:
- First become our friend at: http://www.facebook.com/home.
php?#/ TheOldSchoolhouseMagazine?ref= name
- Then join our fanpage where we host contests, discussions, and giveaways: http://www.facebook.com/home.
- And be sure to join our group Homeschooling with Heart where group members get to interview homeschool related folks like Karen Andreaola, Sue Patrick, and many many more: http://www.facebook.com/home.
You can also follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/home
And join our blogging networks.
- HomeschoolBlogger: http://www.homeschoolblogger.
- Homestead Blogger: http://www.homesteadblogger.
For only $39 you will receive a two-year subscription to The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine, plus 19 very special gifts valued at more than $400 - all FREE - sent directly to you from these popular homeschooling companies (and other vendors!) - no strings attached!
The first 5,000 two-year subscribers will receive a TOS welcome letter plus all 19 gift cards by mail (which can be redeemed for the gifts below). Most of the gift cards must be redeemed via mail (you send it in), though several will allow you to redeem online or via phone.
It's an almost-unbelievable value. These 19 totally useful and exceptional gifts can be yours absolutely FREE!
Once all 5,000 are gone, they're gone for good.
Plus, you'll enjoy two years of your favorite homeschool magazine - from our heart to yours!
Free Cheesecake and Crepes?
That's right - one of the 19 gifts is an offer for a FREE cheesecake mix and a FREE crepes mix! And the company will pay the shipping to get it to you! No strings attached.
Be one of the first 1000 subscribers and get a FREE small packet of sunflower seeds - gift #20 from TOS, especially for you! Let's grow some sunflower gardens together this summer!
Plus, as an added BONUS, 50 random subscribers are going to win a FREE one-week membership to a participating Curves! You could be one of the fifty recipients!
Take a peak at all the Gifts HERE! These 19 fabulous gifts can be yours just for subscribing for 2 years to The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine!
Not to be combined with any other offers, discounts or coupon codes.
Now is the time to "Plan Your Best Year Ever!" The 2009 Planner is bigger and better than ever. With more forms (over 40 ADDITIONAL forms are included), 12 new essays from favorite homeschool authors, including Amanda Bennett, Dr. Jay L. Wile, and Tammy Duby, 12 new, "Must-Know" lists, 24 new recipes, and more! Approximately 2,000 satisfied customers since we launched our Planner in 2008! "OK, listen up, homeschooling moms and dads. I have been busy looking through the 2009 Schoolhouse Planner – where was this gem when I first started homeschooling? We have homeschooled for seventeen years, and this is just what I have needed. I don’t know how The Old Schoolhouse® came up with helps for all of my needs, but this is complete, easy to use, and covers it all. From forms and tips on planning for multiple children (you can type these on your computer and then print the completed forms for your records – cool!) to important articles on things like getting into college, co-op records, garden planning charts, chore lists, and on and on. It really is complete – if you don’t have it yet, get it now and relax this summer as you prepare for the coming year the easy way with the Schoolhouse Planner. It doesn’t get any easier than this!" – Amanda Bennett, www.UnitStudy
The 2009 Planner is bigger and better than ever. With more forms (over 40 ADDITIONAL forms are included), 12 new essays from favorite homeschool authors, including Amanda Bennett, Dr. Jay L. Wile, and Tammy Duby, 12 new, "Must-Know" lists, 24 new recipes, and more! Approximately 2,000 satisfied customers since we launched our Planner in 2008!
"OK, listen up, homeschooling moms and dads. I have been busy looking through the 2009 Schoolhouse Planner – where was this gem when I first started homeschooling? We have homeschooled for seventeen years, and this is just what I have needed. I don’t know how The Old Schoolhouse® came up with helps for all of my needs, but this is complete, easy to use, and covers it all.
From forms and tips on planning for multiple children (you can type these on your computer and then print the completed forms for your records – cool!) to important articles on things like getting into college, co-op records, garden planning charts, chore lists, and on and on. It really is complete – if you don’t have it yet, get it now and relax this summer as you prepare for the coming year the easy way with the Schoolhouse Planner. It doesn’t get any easier than this!" – Amanda Bennett, www.UnitStudy
All of these features make for a fantastic mini unit study on a wide variety of topics, but we are now going even further with our modules. We have new elements that you just can't miss!
Enjoy the benefits of Membership!
With your Planner Module Membership, as each month’s module becomes available you will receive notice when it is time for you to download your copy. Save time and money with your membership.
Supplemental Monthly Modules-- Make learning come alive for your children with these all-new interactive units!
Our Schoolhouse Planner Modules are getting better and better! You won't want to miss out on the exciting things we have planned!
If you have used our modules before, then you already know how much learning and fun we pack into every one; if you have never seen a module before, you are probably wondering what you'll find inside. Check it out:
- Every module is filled with interesting information and facts, studying a topic in-depth.
- We look far and wide to find the best additional resources to expand your studies.
- You'll find activity pages, quizzes, and puzzles your kids will beg to work on!
- Your children will enjoy coloring pages designed just for our modules.
- We include copywork to help develop penmanship skills.
- Yummy recipes in every module!
Every module will now include lapbooking activities in addition to all that is listed above. We are now expanding the modules with activities geared towards older students.
Check out the exciting topics to be covered in the 2009-2010 modules:
July 2009--Summer fun kit. Here is a module guaranteed to help when your children say, "Mom, I'm booored!" You'll find fun travel games, solutions to rainy day boredom, arts and crafts, great snack ideas, and so much more!
August 2009--Favorite childhood books. Which books did you read over and over as a child? We will look at several favorites and include reading guides and activities to help you share these favorites with your own children.
September 2009--Weather, clouds, and related experiments. What causes thunderstorms to happen? How can it be hot in one state and cold in another? Join us as we explore weather on a kid-friendly level.
October 2009--Fire, bike, and emergency safety. Let's talk about safety: in the home, in the neighborhood, and in the car. What should your child do in an emergency? Help prepare your child with this module.
November 2009--Federal, state, and local government. Elections and the government. Who is in charge of the school district? Why do we pay taxes? Who makes the rules for your town? Your children will better understand the division of government after working through this module.
December 2009--Astronomy. If the sun is smaller than other stars, why does it seem so much brighter? How far away is Jupiter? And is Pluto a planet these days? Don't miss this fun look into space.
January 2010--Celebrating the New Year around the world. Celebrate the New Year! How do they ring in the New Year in Spain? What about China? Let's visit foreign countries and see how they celebrate.
February 2010--Bible stories. Let's sit down and visit with Noah as he builds the ark. We will talk about David and his battle with Goliath and see some of the miracles that Jesus performed. We will have a great time digging deeper into the Word of God!
March 2010--Aviation. Where was man first able to fly? Ohio or North Carolina? Which plane is the fastest? How long does it take to travel across country in a plane? We'll build airplanes and rockets as we explore the history of flight.
April 2010--Keeping God's earth clean. Let's take a look at the wonderful natural resources God provided for us. We'll learn how to be good stewards of God's earth and discover how we can take care of it.
May 2010--Going buggy for bugs. Do you love bugs or hate them? What purpose do they serve? Your kids will "bee" so excited to learn more about creepy critters that fly, creep, and sting.
June 2010--World geography. A trip around the world awaits you as we travel the globe in search of the most beautiful places on the planet. Pack your bags, grab your passport, and get ready for the adventure!
For a limited time save over $40 with this incredible introductory 10-pack special!
Kids are captivatingly curious and interested in the world around them. You can encourage their natural inquisitiveness and open up their world of discovery and delight with this engaging new series!
What kind of hats does your child like to wear?
A chef’s—pilot’s—or firefighter’s?
Kids of all ages will LOVE learning about the fascinating careers that are highlighted in this amazing series! Hop on a learning adventure with your kids like you’ve never experienced before!
“Every once in a while, someone comes up with something so fantastic that you can’t wait to share it with everyone you know. . . . These fantastic E-Books are unit studies that are in essence like having a private ‘Career Day,’ only so much better!” —Brenda Emmet, TOS Research Panel
Fan the flame of discovery for your child!
You won’t just want one or two in the series . . . you’ll want them all! Right now you can get the very first TEN at a very special price—at a 45% savings—but only until August 30, 2009!
There are so many interesting careers out there but how do you know what they’re really like? Where do you even start? There are few resources on the market today that provide in-depth, interesting, age-appropriate, and comprehensive information about a full range of careers. TOS recognized this void and created the WannaBe Series™ E-Books just for families like yours!
Involve your entire family!
The WannaBe™ series is a multi-age unit study. It has activities for children from 4 to 10, but the content is appropriate for the whole family—teens, moms and dads, and grandparents too.
“Contrary to what you may think by the title, this isn’t just for little kids—it will appeal to a wide variety of ages. . . . This is truly a unit study for the whole family.” —Kimberly Charron, TOS Research Panel, GA
Retail price for the WannaBe Series™ 10-pack is $89.50 but...until August 30, 2009 only...you can get the entire 10-pack which includes:
- Police Officer,
- Pilot, and
. . . ALL for the special price of $49! That's a 45% savings ($40.50 off the regular price)!!
Enjoy the first books of this exciting series TODAY!
Receive the first four in the series: Chef, Firefighter, Doctor, and Veterinarian IMMEDIATELY after placing your order.
Then you will receive the next six in the series “hot off-the-press” as soon as they become available—even before they arrive to the public in the Store! You’ll be notified by e-mail with all downloading instructions. Now's the time to inspire your children . . .
“When I Grow Up, I Want to Be a Firefighter is one of the best all-in-one themed unit studies I've seen!” —Nikowa Neill, GriffinFor more detailed information please read MORE on the first three Wannabe titles! You’ll be glad you did when you find out just how rich and exciting each E-Book study is!
Don’t let this astounding, introductory special pass you by! This could be the spark that ignites the fire of interest for your child—and who knows where it may lead!
Order NOW and save 45%—but HURRY—sale ends August 30, 2009!
“Mom, I'm bored.”
“Are we there yet?”
“There's nothing to do!”
Have you had enough of the summer humdrum?
Looking for fun games for your little ones?
Traveling, and need activities to keep the kids busy?
You'll find just what you need in...
- The history and traditions of the holidays of summer.
- Directions for making your very own patriotic t-shirt.
- How you can play a “wild and wacky” game of golf in your own backyard!
- A way to play “Duck, Duck, Goose” that will cool you off while having fun with your friends.
- Fun travel activities along with “printables” to make your trip more enjoyable.
- Tips for easy travel snacks and hints to make travel easier.
- Ideas for when the weather has you stuck indoors --look in our “Rainy Days” section.
And so much more . . . It's jam-packed with more fun than a barrel of monkeys!
For only $7.95, you'll receive:
- Coloring pages made just for this module. You will not find these anywhere else.
- Activity pages that relate to the topic. These include crossword, word search, a rebus puzzle, and more!
- Original copywork pages.
- Writing prompts that will encourage your children to continue to write, even during summer break.
- Resource pages to increase your knowledge.
- Additional activity pages created for older students. We want your entire family to benefit from this module, so we are offering resources to expand the learning up through high school!
- Our newest section --“Lapbook Beginnings”! We provide the first couple of lapbooking activities for you, along with links to resources that will help you build beautiful lapbooks with your children. Create a project your entire family will enjoy!
Conquer summer boredom today . . .
the fun begins as soon as you order!
Click HERE to view a sample of this item.
August means organization for many households . . .
Is your home looking dignified and grand?
How impressive are your organization skills?
Start now, and strategize to organize with this motivating issue of . . .
Molly's Money-Saving Digest-August 2009
The special feature for August is:
Organization for Busy Families
Get your busy family happily organized --buzzing like bees as you start to organizzzzze!
Are you ready to tackle the dirty dozen?
Learn how to organize a dozen different aspects of your life and home. From cleaning closets and sorting school papers to making meal planning a breeze, your home will soon be running more smoothly.
Month after money-saving month, Molly presents ideas to help families economize as she shares practical tips, delicious recipes, and helpful interviews with experts. Guest author Martha Greene (Marmee), provides pages of tips and recipes for make-ahead mixes that will save you time and money.
How do you juggle a home, a husband, homeschooling eight children (two with special needs), PLUS four home businesses? Just ask Rebekah Wilson!
For Rebekah and these industrious homeschooling families, home/work/school is a great combination and they want to tell you all about it!
Are you looking to creatively supplement your family's income? Would a home business even work for your homeschooling family?
Whether you are. . .
- Considering a new home business endeavor, or already working from home,
- Seeking creative ideas or exploring opportunities that might work for you,
- Wondering how to set up a home business,
- In need of some inspiration, encouragement, motivation, or advice from experienced home'preneurs who've been there, or
- Wondering how others manage homeschooling and homework and continue to smile,
. . . this E-Book, HomeWork: Juggling Home, Work, and School Without Losing Your Balance contains the information and support you are looking for!
Packed with practical tips, encouragement, and advice, this wonderful, new resource from TOS will help you gain the confidence necessary to make wise decisions concerning starting a home business or maintaining one and combining it with your homeschooling adventures.
“HomeWork is a must read for work-at-home homeschooling moms. There are so many great tips on schedules, how to organize your life with working, and even ideas on what kind of business to start.” ~Angela Richter, TOS Review Panel
These work-and-school-at-home families share the many benefits they enjoy:
- Spending more time together, learning new skills and having fun.
- Being able to help out with finances (and make life easier!).
- Discipleship and teaching children practical business skills.
- Freedom to direct their own financial destiny.
- Bringing Dad home and back to the family.
- Using their talents, interests, or previous experience to jump-start a business.
- Being free of the typical job industry and all the hassles involved.
- Following the biblical calling of a Proverbs 31 woman.
You'll be inspired with all the helpful information that these various authors provide through their real-life, work-and-play-and-educate-at-
Plus, there are chapters featured especially to support you in your home-based business, which include specific details and organization methods to assist you in your daily endeavors of running a business.
If your desire has been to start a home-based business or you need an encouraging boost in your present work-at-home situation, go ahead and take an important step toward making HomeWork, work for your family!
Do you have an active preschooler in your home? So do we!
What kind of learning environment are you creating?
Should you include tot school?
Is it possible to enjoy every minute with your preschooler?
The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine, LLC presents . . .
Creating a Rich Environment and a Fun Place to Learn for Preschoolers
More than a dozen homeschooling families show you how they do it! Discover creative ideas about chores, field trips, multi-teaching, music, hands-on activities and so much more for your family.
Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed by the natural excitement bursting from your preschooler? Are you finding life challenging, especially if you have older ones to teach? How can you bring balance to your home and create an atmosphere conducive to learning?
There are over 80 pages of insightful information and incredible ideas and activities you can immediately put into practice with your family!
Articles cover a full range of helpful hints regarding preschoolers --you'll find helpful information in every chapter. Titles and Topics include:
- Tot School --Learn how to intentionally devote time to focus on preschoolers at play, easily, every day. Use toys, household items, puzzles, books, and more to expose your tot to new concepts.
- Put Some Zing into Your Homeschool with Field Trips --Make field trips a habit with tips and tricks for finding and organizing the best locations for learning.
- Chores and the Preschool Crowd --Have you ever considered chore responsibilities to be a gift to your children? Learn why they are and find practical ways to implement chores that will lead to bigger and better responsibilities and, therefore, privileges.
- Preschoolers and Music --Learn about mice and music from laboratory tests, read biblical references to music and how it can influence moods, and learn how to successfully incorporate music into daily life. Recall songs from your childhood and understand why music is so important for children and learning.
- Preschooling with One --A heartfelt story of learning in the midst of life, from early reading and using safety scissors, to trips to the zoo and learning during errands . . . learning is a lifestyle.
- Create a Rich Learning Environment for Your Preschooler --Whether using an entire room and yard or learning corners in your home, gain great ideas for creating the right environment that includes interaction with you!
- Multi-Teaching --By God's grace you can homeschool children of multiple ages, including preschoolers. Discover great tips and practical ideas for success. Build relationships between your children, as each learns to look beyond their own interests and spends time with the younger children.
- Preschool Education --Simplify life, set a schedule, put God first, and more, as you learn to develop a successful day of activities with your preschoolers.
- Teaching Preschoolers --Learn to be selective in your activities and enjoy the learning that happens while preschoolers are listening and watching older children. When was the last time you went on a scavenger hunt, sorted leaves, or made puppets with your preschooler?
- Creative Things to Do with Your Preschoolers --Glean ideas from an incredible list of possibilities, as well as a section on lapbooking! You'll find more than enough ideas to keep your entire household busy!
- Choosing to Homeschool Our Preschooler --Tried and true advice about including preschoolers in everyday life and activities. Use diaper changing time, grocery shopping, time on the swing set, and more to creatively and constantly teach your little ones.
- Keeping Preschoolers Occupied and Educated --Hear from a certified preschool teacher how to enjoy teaching your preschooler at home and appreciate the value of play.
- Activities to Do with Your Preschooler --Relish advice on teaching in the midst of family life, using dramatic and tactile play, art fun, music, and more --complete with recipes, ideas for activities-in-a-bag, games, and large motor play!
More than eighty Activities for Children are included in an incredibly helpful list; over six pages of ideas! You'll want to print it out and keep it handy to use with all of your children, regardless of age.
Still need convincing? Take a peek inside!
Click HERE to view a sample of this item.
Have you ever felt as if yours is the only one-income family left in a two-income culture? Does it sometimes seem that you're the only one in your extended family, church, or community who is “just a homeschool mom”? Do you question at times if the seeming financial sacrifice of staying at home with your family is worth it? How do you respond when people say, “I wish I could stay at home with my kids”?
Perhaps you are convicted and grounded in your decision to be a one-income family, but you'd love to learn how other families make it work for them.
Living and Learning on One Income: How Twelve Families Make it Work is an E-Book you won't want to miss. Be encouraged, inspired, and informed as you read about twelve families from around the country and around the world who have chosen to live and learn on one income.
Their stories include many practical tips that you can begin using today: from how to save on clothing, curricula, and cars to how to feed your family healthy meals on a budget; from paying off the mortgage to fostering the discipline of delayed gratification; the topics addressed reinforce Godly stewardship principles and encourage you to know that your family can do this too!
Beyond the practical suggestions, links, and tips, a solid framework of resourcefulness, creativity, and perseverance is evident in each story. This E-Book will reassure you that thriving on one income is not only a possibility, but a positive and practical way of life that many families have embraced—and that your family can enjoy too!
With over 50 pages of inspiration, information, and encouragement, Living and Learning on One Income is a resource you'll refer to again and again.
With our new Digital Edition, you will enjoy all the great content from your favorite homeschool magazine, but in a new format—digital!
Want to see a sample first? Click HERE to see our fall '08 issue.
Why should you subscribe to our Digital Edition?
- Instant delivery—No waiting for your mail to arrive. Your sub starts with you immediately receiving our Summer '09 issue. You'll receive our next three issues as they go to print.
- Huge savings—At $16.95, our digital subscription is 32% less than our U.S. print subscription price, 43% less than Canadian print subscription prices, and 65% less than our international print prices. If price has kept you from subscribing before, you can't go wrong with the huge savings on our digital subscription.
- Helpful links—No more running to the computer to check out an advertised product or website reference. One click and you're there!
- Exciting features—Print or email articles to share with up to five of your friends.
- Fun, dynamic format—Flip through a real online magazine, not a pdf file.
- Never lose your magazine again—Save all your TOS issues to your computer or flash drive.
- Easy search capabilties allow you to find exactly what you are looking for in your current and/or your archived issues.
- More of what you love—Enjoy the same high-quality content and beautiful design of The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine print edition.
You won't want to miss the Summer 2009 issue!
Do you ever need a little help getting organized? Homeschooling families face an extra organization challenge. Where do we store the books, hands-on materials, and miscellaneous supplies? Our Summer issue is packed with ideas. There are even tips for organizing your high school student!
If you’ve ever needed a little encouragement and reminder as to why your family should stay strongly convicted for homeschooling, you must read our spring issue! Pat Marcum and Ed Dunlop share their seasoned insights. Plus, there is so much more! Check out the list below:
- Five ways to get your high school student organized!
- Who has the responsibility to teach and train our children? Pat Marcum shares his insights.
- The 2008 Excellence in Education Award winners are in!
- A grandmother reveals her highest calling—homeschooling.
- Amanda Bennett shares a garden unit study.
- Ed Dunlop shares how to defend our children's hearts, as well as our own.
- Ten burnout busters.
- Storage solutions for your already-crowded home!
- A granddaughter is learning a way to treasure her past for the future by journaling.
- Todd Wilson shares one man's perspective about clutter and home organization.
- You CAN conquer those mountains of clutter and confusion!
- Discover Arizona! A state that has something for everyone.
- Taming chaos in your family—from math to daily chores.
- Learn how to make beautiful music together as a family.
- Viral marketing? Focus groups? Meet the Homeschool Crew!
- Discover how congregations and homeschooling families can work together.
- Learn how one family was drawn to "unschooling" and how they are loving it!
- Tips about how to travel at the right time, in the right way, and for the right price.
- Learn how to feast on a budget while traveling.
- Meet the "father of microbiology".
- Save time, gasoline, and money with a well-stocked pantry.
This is just a sample of the wonderful articles waiting for you.